Friday, December 9, 2016

Is a Disability Really an Obstacle?

Living with a disability or perceived negative trait is a very difficult thing to wrap one’s head around.  At first glance, it may seem like all a person does is overcome obstacles left and right.  This is especially true if the disability is of the physical type.  In actuality, a disability is a gift that can be used as a tool.

Seeing a disability or perceived negative trait as nothing but an obstacle is just an illusion the mind creates due to pressures put in place by society to conform to the “norm.”  Basic hygiene functions can be a challenge when an individual is younger, but the majority of the hassle comes from others who do not understand that those with disabilities or traits that seem less desirable need to do things their own way in order to make an impact on the world.  Once the gifted person understands that he or she can take control of his or her own life, then the disability or perceived negative trait is no longer a hindrance of any kind.  In other words, once a person with a disability understands his or her design, then the challenges associated with the gift are minimalized. 

Cerebral Palsy is my gift to the world.  I have a particular form of Cerebral known as Spastic Diplegia.  This condition affects my legs more severely than my upper limbs.  It is difficult to get around when it is cold outside due to my muscles becoming stiff.  I am also not able to drive due to coordination issues with using both hands simultaneously in opposing directions.

It would in the best interest of the individual with a disability or perceived negative trait to use the unique gifts that come with it to propel him or herself forward.  Instead of seeing a particular attribute as a blockade to achieving a goal the "tried and true" way, a person should find out how to use it to create opportunities for him or herself and other people.  Once an individual learns how to see a disability or perceived negative trait as a gift, then they will be able to obtain the things in life that they desire.   

I have a strong grasp on how to use technology to my advantage.  I might not be able to physically write that legible, but my thoughts are what give my words strength.  I am able to type on a computer, so I can still manage to let others know what I have to say.  If I could turn writing into a career, then I would not have to worry about transportation from one place to another on a daily basis.  I would not have to worry about being the fastest person in the physical sense.  My mind is my greatest asset.  My mind will be what attracts the resources for the type of life that I wish to live.  Being the fastest person from a physical standpoint is going against my design.  I was not designed to be a pack horse.  I was designed to inspire others with my words and positive energy.  There are plenty of others in the world that might be designed to be fast from a physical perspective.  I am not one of those individuals, and that is alright.

Everyone should be able to live their lives using their strengths.  I have firsthand knowledge of what it is like to be gifted with Cerebral Palsy, and so I should be helping others minimalize their challenges so that they can live brighter futures.  

Through writing about my experiences with Cerebral Palsy, I am using my gift as a tool rather than seeing it as an obstacle.  My disability has become less of a mountain once I started using it for a purpose.  The gift of Cerebral Palsy is to be used as a tool for teaching.  It is not supposed to be seen as a wall that needs traversing.  Only a fool would throw away such a treasure.    
         

  

2 comments:

  1. I do love your point of view about disability. I'm in wheelchair because something rare called "agenesia lumgosacra"(born with it) in spanish, and I used to hate when people tries to tell me that "disability is a burden". Is it really a burden? Or maybe the burden is how people think, how they treat you and the lack of adaptativenpolicy in city?
    I can get off of my wheelchair even with being amputee (of my two legs) and with no protesis everytime I want. People here doesn't like that of me, they see me as weird but that's why I understand that everyone has his/her own form to do things and disabled persons have to encourage themselves to explore what they can do and how they can do it. No one would let me left my wheelchair, so they can't take all the time what society says.
    I'm so sorry for making this so long, but I'm really happy because of finding your blog and your position about disability. Here where I live aren't much people who thinks like you. Best of wishes for you, and for every person on world. I hope to see you writting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such a great person you are... Best regards from my side to you... Keep Moving :)

    ReplyDelete