Saturday, November 19, 2016

Your Intuition Knows Best



The human body can sometimes seem quite remarkable in the way that it functions.  It has standard processes such as digestion, blood circulation, and bladder control.  The body also has the ability to tell an individual how a given situation is likely to turn out.  This ability is sometimes called a gut feeling while others prefer the name intuition.  No matter which term suits you best, the ability will make you more knowledgeable and save you a lot of time in the long run. 

I ended up learning things the hard way back in September of this year.  I was searching for an apartment to stay in due to short sale happening on my childhood home.  After speaking to a local apartment leasing office in my neighborhood, I came to the conclusion that this particular community was not suitable to my needs.  This place was not accessible for those who are handicapped in some way.  The representative told me that there would be a curb that I would have to traverse, but that would be it. 

I was dead set against going to see the apartment because I knew that the experience would not end well.  I eventually went against my own advice when I received a phone call from the leasing office one day.  The initial e-mail that I received from the leasing office stated that need to have renters insurance before I moved.  I had never heard of renters insurance before, so I wrote an e-mail inquiring what this type of insurance was for.  The woman on the phone explained how renters insurance worked, and we set up a time for an apartment tour.  I decided to go and see the apartment just so I could say I that I had the experience of looking for new place.  I wish I would have listened to my gut. 

I made the appointment for the apartment tour around two in the afternoon.   The address the complex gave me is not the exact address of where the leasing office was located.  I rode around the neighborhood for fifteen minutes before I found the office.  After I spoke to one of the staff members regarding an apartment, and then took me on a tour of the apartment I would be renting.  This woman took my ID card, and then placed in a drawer until the tour was finished.  While I understand this was done for security reasons, I do not know why I was not allowed to have my card back after my identity was confirmed.  We took a ride out to the apartment in the complex’s van.  I get out of the van and went up the curb with my walker only to be greeted by a huge hill. Once I got up to the top, I then walked across three yards before I reached the back entrance to the vacant apartment.  While going across the other people’s yards, all I could think about was snowfall.  It was at this point that I made up my mind not to take the place.  The apartment itself was actually pretty good.  It had only one bed room, but it also had a den and living room.  The den was just as big as the bedroom was.  There was no washer and dryer, but the utility room was right across the hallway from where I would be staying.  The only catch was that I had to buy cards for the washer and dryer at the leasing office.  This would be difficult for someone with a disability such as mine.

The apartment tour finally ended, and I was taken back to the leasing office.  I never made it back inside the actual building.  The woman gave me back my ID card, and did not even invite me inside while I waited for Lyft to pick me up. 

The Lyft driver took forever to reach me.  This was not his fault at all.  As stated earlier, the address to the leasing office was a bit of a mystery.  I ended up hanging on to the complex’s van for forty five minutes while the Lyft driver tries to find me.  I tried to give him direction on where I was based on his location.  I eventually was picked up, and then I asked to be taken to my local diner.

My intuition gave me all the information I needed to know before I even went on the apartment tour.  I already knew from the very beginning that things would not go well.  My intuition ended up being correct.  There is no reason for anyone to hold on to another person's ID card for a long period of time.  Walking across the yards of other apartments is ridiculous.  Weather is just one issue that I would have had to deal with.  I am sure that the neighbors would not appreciate me walking across their property all the time.  I would not have had to wear my legs out standing around waiting for a Lyft driver either.  Next time I have a gut feeling, I will be sure to listen what it has to say.    

1 comment: