Sunday, November 6, 2016

Little Things Do Matter

Life sometimes teaches that the little things in life do matter.  This can be seen in everyday occurrences.  People can either choose to see circumstances and daily events however they want to. The good in life is always there, but one has to be receptive to receiving it.

I use the UIber cell phone car service quite often.  After the driver pulls up to my place, he or she  usually tries to help me get in his or her vehicle.   These people always want to put my walker in the trunk, but they are clueless how to fold the apparatus so that it will fit. I then show the drivers how everything works, and we both have a laugh.

During the actual ride, the drivers will ask about my disability.  Some think that I have the condition known as Multiple Sclerosis, but I tell them that I have Cerebral Palsy.  I also give a short detailed explanation of how my disability affects me on a day to day basis.  The drivers are always impressed with  how high functioning I seem to be.  They also tell me that I have a great attitude for someone with my condition. 

In some instances, these people will tell a story about a troubling time in their lives as well.  One lady that drove to me to a local diner in the neighborhood suffered blindness due to high blood pressure during pregnancy.  She went completely blind for six months.  The doctors thought that she would never recover.  A miracle somehow transpired, and the woman regained her sight.  This person once again sees things without any major issues. 

As long as a person keeps trying to go for the things he or she wants in life, then the possibilities are endless.  If I let my disability dictate what I could or could not do, then my life would feel very difficult and limited.  The rough parts of life exist to help people grow stronger.  They show us that we are capable of much more than we realized previously.  The trick about rough patches in life is that they all start out as something small and expand outward.  Nothing big ever just hits somebody out of the blue.  The only reason why someone believes that something came from out of nowhere is because he or she was not open to the smaller changes taking place all around him or her beforehand.  When a person ignores change, then his or her point of view remains stagnant.  Change is always happening, but people fail to see it because they have their own agenda about how things are supposed to be.  Things are not supposed to be any way at all.  I can either see my disability as a limitation, or I can see it as something that sets me free. 

Cerebral Palsy has allowed me to be more open about my life with others.  It gets people to think about and ask questions beyond life's mundane tasks.  My disability invites conversations from others who might not have spoken to me if I were able-bodied. 

The little things in life do matter because everything has the potentiality for change to occur.  I made the Uber drivers rethink their position about what it means to have a disability.  Anyone can change the world, but he or she must act on his or her thoughts for the desired result to happen. 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren! I am bursting with excitement and pride as I read this amazing article! You keep on going girl! You've got what it takes to inspire so many people! You inspire me every day! Always sending positive light and love your way!!! Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete